FLASH FICTION:-- HORROR, SCI-FI, HUMOUR, CRIME, SLICE OF LIFE, ETC.

Friday 4 October 2013

A day at the beach


“Have you had a good day at the beach, son?”

“Yeah, it's been fun, kicking the ball around an' all. You've been such a good sport too, allowing me to bury you up to your neck in the sand, that was the best part by far.”

“Heheh! Yeah. Well, I'm getting a bit achey now, so how's about digging me back out again? There's a good lad.”

“No... no... I think I'll leave you right where you are.”

“Stop fooling around son, get the spade and start digging.”

“All that running around has made my legs a little tired, so I'm gonna wander over to them rocks and sit down for a while, have fun.”

“You start digging me out right now you little shit, I'm gonna leather the hell out of you when I get you home.”

“That's exactly why you're staying there.”

“I'm gonna call the cops when I get out of here, see what they have to say about a kid that does something like this to his dad.”

“I don't think the cops will be too hard on me, not after I've shown them the welts on my back, and mom's too, they're a lot worse than mine.”

“Look son, I know I haven't always been perfect, but I'm gonna show you that I love you, from now on things'll be different.

“Yeah, well, it's not like you're my real dad is it? You just married my mom, that's all, and if loving someone is getting drunk every night and taking a belt to them, well I don't ever want anyone to love me again, especially not you. I'm gonna go sit on the rocks now.”

“Son... son... c'mon, don't leave me here all alone.”

“You won't be lonely for long, look down the beach, there's a bunch of crabs heading this way, and I just know they'll be only too happy to keep you company.”


©2013 Stephen. J. Green.

14 comments:

  1. "Dad" really deserved that! Hope the crabs nibble and nip him to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Laura. Crabs are such aggressive feeders, they probably won't stop eating until they reach the soles of his feet.

      Delete
  2. That's one way to raise a son. Shouldn't he be proud of how well the kid turned out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he does feel proud John, I don't think he'll be feeling it for too much longer.

      Delete
  3. If only every abused child had that kind of courage, the world would be a better place. Great story Steve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanna.

      The kid took advantage of the opportunity to exact his revenge, and a terrible revenge it will be too.

      Delete
  4. There's a good lad! Going to the beach has taken up a new meaning!
    Very neat horror/realism piece, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy.

      It actually makes me cringe when I think of just how painful his death will be, and just how long it will take to happen, plenty of time for him to have regrets.

      Maybe he can wheedle and promise enough to convince the kid to dig him out before the crabs get there?

      Delete
  5. For some reason this made me think of the Twilight Zone. It would make an excellent episode. It is so amazing how these ones never quite understand their action might entail consequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine. I think there are many people around who believe they'll just keep getting away with their transgressions forever.

      Delete
  6. Vengeance is a dish best served cold… with live crab, eh? I hope the kid doesn't stick around to watch the show, it might be a little TOO much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree Larry, it very likely would be rather Icky, quite noisy too I would suspect. :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh dear me, that's pay back time all right! I could just see those crabs marching up the beach ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wouldn't want to see them marching up the beach from his viewpoint. :-)

      Delete